It is officially autumn in Southern Ontario. We’ve got everything from coloured leaves to morning air that’s cool enough that you can see your breath when you’re standing outside holding your dog’s leash and grumbling at the poor little thing to “Hurry the hell up!” The squirrels are running around like someone’s tied lit firecrackers to their tails, and those insects that weren’t smart enough to find someplace dark and dry are bumbling around and bashing into things like they’re on a bad acid trip. The geese are flying through the baby blue skies in their fascinating V patterns. They’re not going anywhere, mind you. I’m not sure if they’re still practising their formations or debating whether they really do have to get up and be gone, but they’re still milling around Port Dalhousie like they own the place. There is pumpkin spice everywhere. Like… everywhere. If I smell one more clove-cinnamon-sugar-pumpkin anything there’s a good chance I’m going to lose my mind. I’m one of those rare few that can’t stand pumpkin. Not the taste, the smell – I don’t even like the colour. It’s better than peppermint, though and all the gods in all the places know that season is just a hair’s breadth away as well. Don’t worry, I won’t start ranting about winter or its holidays yet. (Emphasis on yet.)
*peeks up, looks around, gets up and closes door*
Kelly Wyre: What are you up to?
It’s a surprise. Read on…
I figure that’s just about as much text as most of you will see in the previews that come up on emails or social media feeds. I’m hoping it is, anyway. Because for those of you that actually clicked through, and read through that rambling first paragraph, I’d like to try a bit of an experiment.
Kelly: Oh, man. Henley, you know what happened last time you tried that…
That was not my fault! Nobody told me that was flammable!
Kelly: Not that time! I mean the other time!
That was also not my fault. That was your take on the suggested experiment. I had no idea it would evolve to kitchen tables and clothes pins and Sharpies. I wasn’t even there. When you think about it, you have only yourself to blame on that—
Kelly: *shakes fist*
Okay, back to the post before I get myself decked. I bruise so easily.
Kelly: *rolls eyes* You’re a veritable peach, Henley.
Anyways, my point being that statistically speaking, click-through rates are atrocious. Not just on blog posts, either. Pretty much anything a promoter (advertiser, etc.) does electronically, they do it knowing that only 1.4% to 2% of their market is going to go any further than that first initial view. Did you get an email this morning showing you this post had gone live? How about a Facebook notification? Tweet? Tumblr post? Well, so did the other 98% of folks. Only you and the rest of the 2% showed up for tea.
And I think that’s cool. I love you guys for that. The 2%ers. Not the 1%ers, mind you. They’re scary. You guys aren’t scary. I hope.
Kelly: What’s wrong with scary? I find scary somewhat endearing, at the very least interesting.
That’s why I love you. You keep the scary things busy and they leave me alone.
Therefore (consequently, hence, and as such), I had an idea. Let’s see who makes up my 2%ers. Let’s see how many of you made it past the initial prompt and followed through with the post.
Leave a comment below and I’ll enter you into a giveaway for an ebook from my backlist in any format you’d like (excluding anthologies [sorry], but including Wolf, WY.) And to add a little extra incentive for those of you that have already so kindly bought anything and everything possible (does someone like that actually exist out there? I would absolutely love to know if that’s the case!) the winner’s name will be written on one of my Post Its and get stuck on my infamous Post Its wall, where it will wait until such time as the second novel in the Wolf series comes out. Then the winner will get an ebook copy of that one too.
There are only a few rules to this giveaway:
(1) Keep it a surprise. It’s just between you, me, and the other guys, gals, dolls, and dandies that clicked through to read. In other words, no HASHTAG-GIVEAWAY, HASHTAG-CONTEST, HASHTAG-FREESTUFF. We don’t want to skew our data, after all. This is for science, people! For SCIENCE!
Kelly: *stands in Captain America pose* For SCIENCE!
(2) Leave a comment below. Tell me what the weather’s like in your part of the world; tell me what you’d like for dinner. Tell me about your dog, or just say howdy, Free! What you say in the comment is completely up to you – just write something.
Kelly: How many comments do you think you’re going to get that just read: Something?
Probably all of them. And that’s cool too. 😀
And finally (3), the legal garble: By entering this giveaway you agree to hold AF Henley and designates harmless should something go awry with either contest or the prizes awarded. Winner must be of legal age, and legally able to accept the prizes as awarded. By entering this giveaway you are confirming your eligibility. Void where prohibited by law.
Giveaway ends at midnight on November 10th. Winner’s name will be posted here, so please do check back. I’ll need you to respond within twenty-four hours.
Until next time!
AF Henley <3
Henley was born with a full-blown passion for run-on sentences, a zealous indulgence in all words descriptive, and the endearing tendency to overuse punctuation. Since the early years Henley has been an enthusiastic writer, from the first few I-love-my-dog stories to the current leap into erotica.
A self-professed Google genius, Henley lives for the hours spent digging through the Internet for ‘research purposes’ which, more often than not, lead seven thousand miles away from first intentions but bring Henley to new discoveries and ideas that, once seeded, tend to flourish.
Henley has been proudly working with LT3 since 2012, including Henley’s newest novel, ‘Wolf, WY’ which hit the shelves on October 21, 2015. For more information please stop by for a visit at afhenley.com.