10 ways to procrastinate as an author
I thought I’d share with you my top 10 ways to procrastinate as an author. Feel free to borrow some – they work really well.
- Wake up. Turn over. Go back to sleep. It’s an oldie, but a goodie.
- Social Networking – I can’t say this strongly enough. Do you truly want to do anything but write? Social Networking is your best friend. Go there and the next thing you know hours have passed by and you haven’t gotten a thing written.
- Exercise – Yep. This is one of my favorites as I do it twice a day for an hour each time. It’s a great way to put off writing. And an even better way to feed my addiction to reading. But we won’t mention that here.
- Lunch – Yep. Home from the gym and that blank page is staring you in the face? It’s time to make a fancy lunch. If you move slowly, you can take almost an hour to get lunch made. Extra points if you stretch it to an hour and a half. An added bonus is you can turn on your mp3 player and listen to your favorite audiobook while you do so. That’s what I do.
- Running errands – Seriously, it’s a great way to kill time. Especially if you have errands on opposite sides of town you can go back and forth millions of times and really waste your day. And if you have an MP3 player around, again you can listen to your favorite audiobooks as you go. It really helps speed time by.
- Naps – definitely underrated and they can be amazing ways to kill a couple hours in the afternoon. You can wake up refreshed and ready to take on #7.
- Dinner – Well, hey, you ran all those errands and took a nap. Now you need din-din. Make sure and have several parts to the meal and time it so it takes a nice long time. And then take a nice long time to eat.
- Hell, by now it’s time for your favorite TV show, right? So you have to watch that.
- Walk the dog – Yeah, this one can dot throughout the day, but now that little doggie needs a nice long walk and hey, you could use a little exercise now that food has settled and you’ve vegged in front of the bube tube for three hours.
- Well, dang. It’s too late to write now. That will just wake you up and the last thing you want to do is to not be able to sleep. So go ahead and get comfortable in bed with your favorite book or audiobook. You can always write tomorrow.
I’m so helpful, aren’t I? 🙂
Thianna Durston is a writer by day and supernova by night. Or at least that’s what the faeries tell her. And who is she to deny those pesky *cough* lovely little creatures?
She lives in the Pacific Northwest, though her heart belongs elsewhere. In the meantime, until she can return to the place she calls home, she happily lives in a city that still thinks it’s a small town. Thankfully, it has given her muse lots of amusing places to start a story.
Where can you find Thianna Durston online?
Thianna’s Website – http://mm.thiannad.com/
Thianna’s Blog – http://blog.thiannad.com/
Facebook Author Page – https://www.facebook.com/ThiannaDurstonAuthor
Twitter – https://twitter.com/ThiannaDurston
Google+ – https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ThiannaDurston
Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13536433.Thianna_Durston